Ecotourism / Eco-camps
Aomak private camp/Exclusive news for our guests - For the 2023/2024 season, we have just opened a new and private campsite on Aomak Beach. This is the first private camp on Socotra, exclusively and only for our guests of Socotra.cz/ Socotra Exclusive Tours. The 3000m2 beachfront campsite is fully fenced for privacy, the campsite has 3 European style toilets and showers as well as 2 natural shelters to provide shade for relaxing and dining. The beach is the longest and most beautiful of the entire southern coast.
You can sleep in stone shelters with a roof made of palm branches or in a tent. From there you can go on a trip to the nearby Zahaq Sand Dunes or the Dagub Cave.
Dehamri – camp on the shore of a seaside natural park. You can hire equipment for snorkelling. There is a shared bathroom available there.The island's only diving base is also located here. There are shared toilets and showers. The staff will prepare the food, right here you can taste crawfish - subject to availability. Stone shelters and tents are ready to host you overnight.
Detwah – camp at the most romantic place on the island - the bay Detwah. You can sleep in palm shelters or in tents. A spacious campsite where you can sleep in palm shelters or in tents. Shared basic showers and toilets are available.
Homhil – camp in a magic country of dracaenas and custard apples. You will sleep in tents or in a stone shelter. There is a bathroom available there and staff will make food for you. Nights may be colder but silence and beautiful sky with thousands of stars are the only “disturbing“ element.
Rosh – camp on the shore of coral beach of seaside natural park. You may sleep in tents or in palm shelters. You can snorkel, dive there or you can set out to the cave Hoq.
Eco lodge – this place belongs to Adiba´s family which operates restaurant and accommodation in huts or in tents there. Nearby there is a botanic nursery with endemic plants found.
Skand – eco camp at the foot of the mountain Jabal Skand. There is an amazing view to rocky peaks from there. However you get to these peaks only after several hours of trek. Overnight you can sleep in a tent or inside stone building.
Travelling is a phenomenon of our time. We are exploring more and more exotic places, untouched by men. However, the means of travel, our destination and the overall conditions of our explorations influence our future more than we think.
For Socotra, ecotourism represents an important factor in local economy also with respect to the preservation of the island’s environmental and cultural heritage.
Ecotourism is a form of tourism involving visits to various natural areas and respecting local environment, culture and contributing to the development of local economies.
The main rules of ecotourism:
- Be informed: find a local guide, who respects and protects the local environment
- Stay on tourist paths: you will eliminate damage to local environment (scaring animals, damage to plants)
- Walk or use environmentally friendly means of transport: you will reduce environmental pollution
- Avoid large groups: small groups do not have negative impact on the local environment (if behaving respectfully)
- Get to know the local culture: you will understand the local rules and will not disturb the aborigines
- Spend your money in local communities: it will be the local economy that will benefit from your money
- Protect natural resources: do not waste water and do not keep electrical devices switched on all the time
- Respect the environment: do not take any items from the natural areas, you will disrupt local environmental conditions
- Protect your own environment: do not waste natural resources, respect local environment and get a deeper knowledge of nature